Eligibility for Grants and Funding in Sussex
Please see below our criteria for eligibility for applications for funding and grants for schools and educational establishments in East Sussex, West Sussex and Brighton & Hove. Once you have read this and believe your project is eligible, please apply. Please note that meeting these criteria does not guarantee the award of grants for schools and other organisations.
- Applications for educational grants and funding are considered from state or independent schools, colleges, nurseries, pre-schools, play groups, youth clubs and any organisation that makes a contribution to the education of young people up to the age of 25 years in East Sussex, West Sussex and Brighton & Hove.
- This includes all educational and training institutions, volunteer groups and special interest groups providing wider access to education and learning enhancement.
- We are happy to support parent teacher associations striving to provide new facilities for their school. In such instances we require the endorsement of the headteacher or senior manager that the project proposed is welcomed as part of the school’s development plan.
- Organisations whose sole purpose is to raise funds and who are not themselves involved in the provision of the educational services will not normally be considered for grants.
Eligible Activities for Grants for Schools and Other Educational Organisations:
We particularly provide grants for schools and other educational organisations for the development of their buildings, for example, science, arts, or special needs; also for new learning resources, for example, science, technology and IT equipment, books and library resources, PE/sports, outdoor learning and playground equipment, as well as many other similar needs.
- Priority will be given to projects which widen educational access and opportunity and enhance achievement.
- Applications should address needs for resources for which current funding is not adequate or available.
- Projects in areas of deprivation or educational disadvantage will be given especially sympathetic consideration, but all must be within East Sussex, West Sussex and Brighton & Hove.
Please note that grants for schools/organisations are not awarded for:
- salaries or transport costs;
- educational visits or attendance at conferences, expeditions or overseas travel;
- meeting the cost of student tuition fees, or subsistence expenses or for endowments or scholarships;
- projects already completed;
- projects whose sole purpose is to promote a particular religion or faith. This is not to rule out applications from faith-based organisations, but to ensure there is no faith restriction in either the organisation’s admission policy or in the educational objectives to which the funding will be directed.
- Applications will be particularly welcome from schools and organisations that can demonstrate the commitment to allocate significant resources from their own budgets or from the budgets of their supporters of the project.
More Information about Grants for Schools and Educational Organisations:
We usually receive more applications than we can support and so look to ensure that our grants benefit the young people of East Sussex, West Sussex and Brighton & Hove as widely and as effectively as possible.
We sometimes give quite low value grants to support small but worthwhile projects. In some circumstances we will give much larger grants with payments staged over a longer period of time.